Over twenty years of experience…
From biology student, to owning and running a creative agency in London, life has taken Jon on a rewarding and unconventional journey. Despite his scientific beginnings, he’s always had a strong artistic streak weaving it’s way through the different career paths. Growing up in Ipswich, UK, Jon was always an avid drawer and could always be found with a pencil and paper in hand, but with his first computer, he embraced the new frontier of digital art and had work published in one of those early computer magazines, the stage was set!
His creative urges took a backseat to a getting a biology degree at Brunel University in London, but it was afterwards, in his first job was working at Archant newspaper group in Ipswich, he quickly progressed from plate maker to becoming an integral member of the art studio. It was during this time, he taught himself photoshop, desktop publishing, graphic & web design.
After a few years he setup a design agency, which he eventually went full time on with a few colleagues, and moved it up to London. This proved to be a pretty successful move, working for a number of clients such as Nike and Virgin, getting positive comments from Richard Branson, and even Tony Blair.
2004-Present Freelance Designer/Art Director, Mount Pleasant SC
Working from the home and providing a full agency service for a fraction of the cost to clients in the UK, USA and Mexico.
- Art direction
- Photoshop/illustrator artwork creation
- Branding and Idents
- WordPress design and development
- Social media marketing
- Co-creating, building and eventually selling an entire Vacation Rental web solution.
- Working with clients across multiple countries and timezones.
- Having the time management and organisational skills to successfully work at home and raise three small boys.
- Successfully working remotely and retaining clients despite moving to the USA.
- Selling digital based artwork and illustrations
Creative director/joint owner of a small London based design consultancy, providing fresh, idea-driven solutions for magazines, brochures, corporate identities and branding, as well as on-line and multimedia projects.
- Liaising closely with clients, designers and freelancers on projects from concept to completion.
- Directing design and production teams to ensure a high quality result within the budget and deadline.
- Strategic planning and marketing.
- Assisting with layout, artwork creation and IT solutions.
- Managing and art directing the $500K educational news magazine which is sent to over half a million school children, bimonthly. Prime Minister, Tony Blair, said what a great product it was.
- Creating and running a series of magazine websites for Highbury House Communications. This saved them over $50K in costs, and created an advertising vehicle which now brings in an additional $50k per annum.
- Starting and owning a international design consultancy in London, UK, with over $1 million turnover.
- Richard Branson’s, chairman of Virgin, recognition of my firms work on Virgin Trains Magazine.
- Driving branding strategies for start-up companies.
Graphic designer, working in the in-house art studio of a magazine and newspaper group.
- Producing point of sale material, high quality magazine features, advertisements and web banners.
- Liaising with advertisers and sales staff, ensuring the brief translates into an engaging feature or advert.
- Promotion to Senior Graphic Designer in 1998.
- Winning the “Best in-house advertisement” award
- Recognition of my superior knowledge of design software by being asked to train the other members of the art studio.
- Making the PDF an integral part of newspaper and magazine production, saving the group over $50K per annum.
I started as temporary employee in the print room making press plates from the film negatives. As soon as I got a chance, I moved on to the production floor, where I gained recognition for my attitude and my software skills.
- Producing basic advertisements and assisting with page layout.
- Promotion to Senior Mac Operator in 1996.
- Gaining a permanent contract in 1995.
- Promotion from Plate-maker to Junior Mac Operator in 1994.
- Art direction
- Web / UI / UX
- Idents / Branding
- Time Management
- Team Player
- Social Media
- Apple Guru
- Adobe CC Expert
- Making Art
- Ipswich Town FC
- Sci Fi
1990-1994: Brunel University, London, UK
This was a four year sandwich course in Batchelor of Science, Honours degree, Biology.
- ￼￼￼Addenbrookes Hospital 1993: Reaserch assistant working creating an in vitro model of the gastroinstestinal tract.
- Harris Ltd 1992: Testing food products for any microbial presence.
- Westminster Hospital 1991: Assisting with research on creating a urine test for the presence of malignant melanomas.